Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Health Update and Stories from Pre-Marital Counseling

Hey all!

I had my procedure (a flexible sigmoidoscopy) this morning, and everything went smoothly. Thankfully, they didn't find anything troubling, and I felt no pain whatsoever under the anesthetic. It was way easier than I thought it would be! The prep was the worst part... No solid foods for almost 24 hours, and a few other unpleasant things... But I made it! My mom took me to Cracker Barrel afterwards, and I had a feast. :)

In wedding news, I have officially ordered Save the Dates!! They should be in before long (hopefully before I go out of town), so now it's a matter of finalizing the guest list. Other things I need to do sooner rather than later are: choosing a florist, (officially) booking the DJ, and meeting with the wedding coordinator at the church.

Collin and I are almost done with pre-marital counseling! We did two sessions at once the day before my graduation (see what I mean about marathon weekend?), so now we only have one session left. We may have to Skype Collin in for one if he doesn't make it back down here before the wedding, but he may be here in June to help me move, which is our last possible opportunity. Counseling has been interesting... The first thing we had to do was take a test separately in order to assess our compatibility. We agreed on a lot of things and scored well overall - we actually earned the highest compatibility rating of "vitalized" couple. Pat on the back for that one. ;) We scored really well on conflict resolution and communication, which is great, but apparently we didn't do too well on marriage expectations (due mainly to the fact that I was trying to read too much into the test... oops).

Lisa, our counselor, was most concerned about the fact that we had never lived by each other or even been around each other for an extended period of time, plus we haven't been together as long as some couples, all of which she says may be the reason for our "unrealistic" expectations. It's a fair point, but I argued that the limitations to our relationship (ie: distance) have forced us to get to know each other a lot faster since all we could do all the time is talk, so I think we are a lot further on at this stage in our relationship than we would have been had we lived by each other. I'm not worried about it, and neither is Collin. I think we are both very realistic people, and we both acknowledge that living together may be a bigger adjustment for us than for some couples, but I honestly think it's challenging for all newlyweds. And I do think we're as ready now as we ever will be. So, bring on the challenge!

One result from the test that was particularly funny was our differing stress level. Collin scored a 50, which is considered moderate, and I scored a 95... out of 100. Haha whoops. Needless to say, that was pretty high. It was interesting to me, because I wouldn't consider myself an easily stressed person, but I do (or at least I did) have a lot of stressors contributing to my overall anxiety - the wedding, the thesis, graduation, finding a job, finding a place to live in CT, getting ready to leave my home forever, etc. It adds up, but thankfully my biggest stressors (thesis and graduation) are OVER. I still have other things to prepare for, but I don't mind them as much. Thank goodness! Maybe I can bring my stress level down to a 75... I think that's the best I can hope for as a woman. ;)

That's all for now. Stay posted! I'll be in Chicago this weekend for my friend Kelsey's wedding (yay!), but then I'll have to hit the ground running when I come back!

Love,

C & A

0 comments:

Post a Comment