Friday, May 7, 2010

Nashville Flood

Hey everyone,

For those of you who don't know, Nashville is in the process of recovering from a massive flood that devastated our city last weekend. It's not getting a lot of national media attention, but it's really rough here... So far about 30 lives have been lost, and that number is steadily climbing as homes are being cleaned out. Downtown was completely underwater, as were many neighborhoods and historical landmarks in and around the Nashville area. It was a record-breaking flood that is estimated to have caused at least $1 billion in damage, which would make it one of the most expensive natural disasters in U.S. history.

Thankfully, all my friends and family have been spared the worst. Green Hills (the neighborhood where I live) was probably one of the least affected areas, though the first-floor apartments in my complex still had flooding. I was very lucky. My parents' house wasn't quite so lucky, but it could have fared much worse. We live next to a creek, and even though there is an acre of distance between the creek and our house, the water still managed to surround the house and flood our family room (the lowest room in the house) with up to 4 feet of water. My parents were out of town for the worst part of the storm, but came back in time to salvage the furniture downstairs. The carpet has to be replaced, but that seems to be the only casualty, thank goodness.

Others haven't fared so well... Many alumnae of my sorority who live in the area have suffered a lot of damage from flooding, and some have lost everything. My sorority is trying to help out by donating money and items as well as volunteering our time. The one good thing to come out of all this is the way Nashville has stepped up as a community to help out those in need. Relief organizations have been overwhelmed with donations and volunteers to the point that they have had to start turning people away. The aftermath of the flood may be devastating, and the economic downfall sure to follow (due mostly to the destruction of tourist destinations such as Opryland and the Country Music Hall of Fame) will be equally difficult, but I think there is something to be said for the people of Nashville, whose spirits are stronger than ever. As I am about to leave this place that I have called my home for 22 years, I finally feel like a true Nashvillian, and I have never been prouder to call myself one.

Here is a really good video of compiled footage from the flood. There are lots of videos out there, though, so if you want to see more footage, you don't have to look very far.

Here are some more photos from last weekend (the last one was taken outside one of our alums' houses):


I still can't believe this happened to my city... Please keep Nashville in your prayers as we continue with the recovery effort.


Love,

C & A

0 comments:

Post a Comment