Thursday, January 7, 2010

About Us

Collin and I have a pretty unique story of how we met. He is from Minneapolis, MN, and I am from Nashville, TN. Neither of us had ever lived anywhere outside of our home states, nor had we ever even visited each other's respective home states until after we met.

Collin and I met in Las Vegas, of all places. I was on Spring Break; he was on a business trip. We were both staying at Planet Hollywood, and we met on the dance floor of the hotel's club (which is now closed) called Prive. We were there the night Samantha Ronson was performing, which was also the night she and Lindsay Lohan had the fight that led to their split. Ironically, as the Hollywood world was reeling from the stars' breakup, Collin and I were starting our relationship, never expecting it to last past the dance floor.

We danced for what seemed like hours, though it was probably just an hour at most. Eventually I had to leave him (reluctantly) to go look for my friends since they had my room key, cell phone, etc. To my surprise, Collin came along with me and helped me find my friends. Then he and I actually hung out the rest of the night together - first with one of my friends, Kelly, and then alone. I thought for most of the night that Collin was more into Kelly than me, but I discovered I was wrong when he stuck around after Kelly went up to bed. It was his last night in Vegas, so he wanted to stay up all night, and he wanted me to be right there with him. Thankfully, I was game. Early the next morning, we returned to Planet Hollywood and ate breakfast together at Earl of Sandwich. Then we exchanged an awkward hug and telephone numbers, and never expected to see each other again.

Surprisingly, though, we stayed in contact, and eventually he offered to fly me up to Minneapolis to visit him. I went - to the shock (and hidden disapproval) of most of my friends and parents - and thus we began our long-distance relationship. Now he lives in Connecticut, where I will be moving after graduation. For now, though, we call, text, chat, and Skype every day, and we fly to see each other once a month. Most people say long-distance relationships never work, but Collin and I are living proof that they can. We communicate more than the average couple, and for that reason, we grew closer a lot more quickly than most.

Before long, we discovered that we had all the right things in common, and that we complemented each other perfectly. I always wondered how I would know when I had found the "One," but with Collin, it was easy. I knew earlier on in the relationship than I would prefer to admit, and I never looked back from that point. He was all I wanted and all I would ever need, and we've only been together for ten months.

Collin and I pride ourselves in having an open, loving, God-centered relationship based on communication and trust. Most couples strive for that, I think, and most probably would claim that they have it. I hate cliches, so I only say it because it is actually 100% true. I know everything about Collin - good, bad, and embarrassing - and he knows everything about me. And the best part is, we actually make each other better people by being together. I think that's a pretty rare thing, and I plan to hold onto it.

I never thought it would be this simple, but deciding to marry Collin turned out to be the most natural decision I have ever made, and I am certain it will be the best.

Stay tuned for the proposal story! ;)

C & A

0 comments:

Post a Comment