Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Proposal

So here is the story everyone wants to hear - the proposal! Every girl dreams about this day, whether she wants to admit it or not. We watch movies and read books about it, and we envision the day when it's finally our turn. But when it actually happens, it is so surreal... as if something so wonderful couldn't exist... or at least not for me! I remember being in shock for the entire evening, wondering when I would ever wake up from my blissful dream, and hoping I never would. I had never felt so lucky in my entire life, nor had I ever felt so loved. It was perfect in all the right ways.

It was our third day in New York City, and I had been suspecting this would be "the day" for the past month. I had no way of knowing for sure, but I'm pretty hard to surprise, especially when I know something is coming. The only other option I had considered - and sincerely hoped against - was the first night when I arrived in Connecticut, ie: Free Wings Night. My friend (and now Maid of Honor) Krystal arrived the same day as me, which meant she would inevitably have been present for our proposal, which would inevitably have to happen right before we went out for wings. Not exactly what I had envisioned since childhood. But, I was also ready and excited to be engaged, so I accepted that whatever happens happens, and if it's going to happen on Free Wings Night, then so be it. Thankfully, it didn't. Collin and I exchanged our Christmas presents - neither of which was a ring, though one was a necklace from Tiffany's that gave me quite a scare - and all was well.

To continue the story, we were in New York City for our "date night" that Collin had been talking about for a while. The date was Sunday, January 3rd - exactly a week ago from today. We had finally made it into the city after a chain of disastrous events that day that included our friends' flight getting canceled and Collin and I missing our train. I remember sitting on the (later) train, looking out the window at the blizzard flying past us and thinking, if I get engaged tonight, something better not go wrong!

We started our night at a snazzy restaurant downtown called Del Frisco's - a steakhouse right next to Rockefeller Center with a fantastic view of the city. The meal was absolutely delicious, even though we ordered a monstrous amount of food that we couldn't possibly finish. I kept an eye on Collin throughout the meal for signs of nerves, and sure enough, he didn't look me in the eye very much... I took that to be a good sign. Of course, I was talking in an unusually high-pitched voice and agreeing with every sentence that came out of his mouth, so I wasn't exactly the epitome of cool. But I kept trying to talk myself out of my expectations, for fear of being disappointed. After Collin mentioned to the waiter that we had somewhere to be at 8:00, I struggled to reign in my curiosity.

Once our meal was through, Collin excused himself to go the bathroom, and I proceeded to spaz internally... Is he really in the bathroom? Is it going to happen now? Is he coming back with the ring? Is the ring in a cake? What if I eat the ring?? Do all the servers know? Please tell me no one is going to sing... But no ring yet. Collin informed me that our original plan had to be canceled. He had made plans for us to go on a carriage ride through Central Park, but it was too cold for the carriages to run. I was disappointed, but also a little embarrassed for all my thoughts, because obviously what I expected to happen tonight was looking much less probable. Nevertheless, we still decided to go for a walk in Central Park since we had looked forward to seeing it that weekend.

Did I mention it was FREEZING outside that night? We walked there, and I asked to make a pit stop inside a hotel lobby on our way because the wind was tearing at my face. I told Collin that we didn't have to go see Central Park tonight; it was so painfully cold. We could see it another time. He insisted that we should. So we trudged on. Once we finally made it to Central Park, the wind mercifully died down as we walked around the frozen lake and stared up at the skyscrapers. We talked about how crazy it was that we met in Vegas, visited each other in Minneapolis and Nashville, and now here we are in New York City - our future home, of sorts. That's when he stopped walking, and I immediately knew what was coming.

Collin turned to face me - his short breaths coming out of his curved grin in puffs. He leaned his head toward me, and he told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. I was already reverting to my pre-teen self, so all I could do was nod and say "Me, too!!" He then kneeled in front of me, and pulled a little blue Tiffany box wrapped in white ribbon out of what must be a deceivingly large coat pocket, and he set it in my hand. Then came the four words every girl can't wait to hear - "Will you marry me?" I spazzed externally this time, my hands over my mouth and the tears welling up. I looked all around me, as if to confirm that it was, in fact, me he wanted to marry. But for whatever reason (which probably had to do with weather) - we were all alone in Central Park. I hugged him around his neck and all I could manage was to whisper "Of course."

I unwrapped the little blue box and opened it to find a stunning round-cut solitaire diamond in a platinum six-prong setting staring up at me. It was the perfect size, and it was exactly what I wanted. From Tiffany's, no less! What else could a girl ask for? He put the ring on my finger, and it was a perfect fit, albeit somewhat loose due to the freezing temperature of my hand. We hugged again - this time a big one - and I felt time stop as we shared our private little miracle. The beginning of our forever.

Long story short - I got engaged in Central Park with a Tiffany's ring from the man of my dreams. Even without the carriage ride, it was perfect. But the best part is yet to come! Stay posted for updates about our wedding progress and little anecdotes about the bride and groom. :)

God bless!

C & A

0 comments:

Post a Comment