Monday, January 18, 2010

Nashville Bridal Show = CRAZINESS

Yesterday I went to the Nashville Bridal Show with my mom, and it was insane! I didn't know so many people even lived in Nashville, much less women with rings on their fingers. I got to wear a flashy pink "Bride!" sign around my neck - to my amusement and slight embarrassment - as I was approached by well-meaning vendors and had my mouth stuffed with cake bites. It was a bit overwhelming, to say the least, but pretty informative. And thankfully, a lot of the vendors offered discounts for bridal show attendants, which may prove to be useful. I don't know whether or not I will actually use any of the vendors, but it was still good to get an idea of price range and services. I came home with a bag full of brochures, contracts, and business cards, and immediately trimmed the pile by dumping all those which were over-budget or undesirable. No use in wasting my time, right?

I also talked to a sorority sister who was a September bride last year, and she offered me lots of advice on vendors. The more I talk to other brides, the more plausible everything seems. Everyone is on some sort of budget, after all, though you would never know that from the abundance of advertisements featuring "real brides" with flawless make-up, complicated hair-dos, ballroom gowns, diamond jewelry, and 3-carat rings either standing in the doorway of an ornate cathedral or sitting at a reception table with velvet tablecloths and centerpieces of long-stemmed roses. Right.

It's especially bad here in Franklin - one of the most affluent cities in the country. When reality sets in that this dream wedding just isn't possible, it can be disappointing, and it can make the planning process a little more stressful and a little less blissful than for those whose only limit is their imagination. But, whenever you do find that rare gem that is close to your dream for less than your dream budget, you feel even more accomplished. I WILL have a beautiful wedding, and I WILL do it on a budget. I'm already learning that attitude is everything.

I have an appointment tomorrow with Nashville City Club, and two appointments on Saturday at bridal stores - Faccio Bridal and David's Bridal. I'm planning on scheduling more appointments for later this week at a couple other venues. Hopefully the venue will be settled before long! I'm starting to get a little anxious, even though I've only been searching for about a week and a half.

So, followers - all 3 of you - look for updates this week!

C & A

1 comments:

Amanda said...

FYI - ruled out Nashville City Club today before the appointment because of cost and location.

Post a Comment